Sunday, January 11, 2015

... on the Annual Best and Worst of 2014!

A little late to the party... but who the heck parties anyways! In no particular order...

BEST!

Moving back downtown, yah!


Oh man how I missed thee, never-ending commute and power outages ... NOT. To be fair, I can't say I hated moving away from the hub. Afterall, life by the lake is how I started running and adopting a healthier lifestyle (Resolution from prior years, check!). But those howling windy nights made me dream about collapsing building and being buried in rubbles. Plus, if that ever happens and I come out alive, there isn't anything in a 2km radius to entertain me while waiting for hot firemen to arrive.

Am I a little worried that my new area is too much of a hipsterville, and will end up being as soul-less as the core? I have to admit, whenever I spot an army of plaid-shirts rounding the corner or tuques peeking out behind macbooks, there is a little stir. But haters of hipsters are also becoming obnoxiously pretentious themselves (read some Yelp reviews on restaurants around Queen West, and have your optometrist thank me for making you do eyeball exercises).

Why can't good things just be, good? I hope the area keeps thriving and being eclectic, because whatever the intentions are behind those weird little shops (pretentiousness, trying too hard, trying too little, etc.) they make up a damn interesting neighbourhood.

Kittay, yah! 

What can I say - she's a sweetheart! I am not a bit disappointed by her lack of typical cat behaviour and sass: no swatting, no climbing up on counters, no scratching of furniture, she even uses toys, boxes and scratch post that are bought for her (Whaa-a-at! I know, right!? Maybe she's a robot cat). Okay well maybe just a tiny little bit of sass, but she is definitely not an ass, in fact she got class - urges people to clean her litter, that lass.

Chris Pratt, yah!

Just sayin'.

Being a homebody but hitting Target Weight, yah!

This was a fairly introspective year. I am making conscious decisions to come to terms with being more of an introvert. This way, when I do actually go out, I am glad to be there and can enjoy myself. To top it off, I've taken steps towards feeling better about myself physically, as opposed to whining about it - big change in attitude and need to keep at it. This might be a good segue (everybody together: segway!) into next year's resolutions, but that's for another post because now we gotta cover....


THE WORST!

Mortgages and running out of money, boo! 

Money can't buy happiness but running out of it certainly gets stressful... The whole saga of trying to sell a home and/or find a renter and getting financing is a huge pain in the effing crack. This part of being an adult, I have to admit, sucks (the rest of it is not that bad, my mom actually doesn't bother telling me what to do anymore, wheeeeeee no need to slam doors and pout and fantasize about running away but then realize I have no money so I can only pout in my room in the house that my parents own and still crawl out to eat dinner in shaaaaame). I also still harbour deep hatred for that cow of a seller who lowballed the market and made me unable to sell my property... this is a perfect example of how you can't avoid idiots making bad decisions affecting you. I hope she gets fired from her Silicon Valley job and has to crawl back to Toronto and be forced to buy a place at 2946735% premium because Toronto all of a sudden is named best place to live by some independent happiness/economics study!

Not having enough fun time, boo!

Ah this one, this one is related to work. Com'on it was good for the first year to work me hard, I'm new and learning and all, but it's been almost 3 frigging years! You can't make me grow hours in a day...  the monkeys are on my back again because "we need to keep our talents interested" and "who wouldn't want to do new crap!?".. well guess what, ME! No more "learning opportunities" or "new exciting accounting shit". Can you believe this? Someone called a change in accounting exciting... that's worse than trying to sell me extended warranty on a mouse. You know what's exciting? Finishing at 5PM and seeing sun rays muthafucka!

All those sequels and trilogies and long movies, boo!

Honestly, it is "choose two out of three" for movies now: original movie, adequate length, entertaining. I did not even want to go watch Hobbits! Not even one. And this is me! I loved LOTR and middle earth and elves andlslkdfjalsdkjf. But a quite arbitrary personal line was crossed when they drew out a tiny book into a trilogy and forced characters in there and slapped some sap love story to top it all off. Forced love story is a big pet peeve now. Just makes you cringe, doesn't it? NO DON'T KISS HER SHE IS LIKE YOUR MO...aaaaarrrghh fudgesicle! Bloody hell Hollywood get a grip.

1 comment:

  1. SneakyHobbits13/1/15 2:11 PM

    Funny random fact, the actress that plays the elf in the hobbit, Evangeline stipulated one criteria in order for her to accept the role. No stupid love triangle. After being in a stupid love triangle in Lost she had enough. They all agreed, all was well, filming begun.

    After filming was done, a couple weeks later, the cast had to get together for some reshoots. What was included in this? The stupid scenes for all the stupid love triangle stuff. She was not a happy camper.

    You set the bar high for the new year. What will you do? WILL YOU WALK WITH ME TO MORDOR?

    ReplyDelete