Sunday, November 9, 2014

on reading a new book (ish, I think I went off topic)

Lately, I've been on a small reading binge.

All these small binges of hobbies (thanks, ADHD brain and a childhood devoid of discipline), somehow still add up to quite a busy schedule. Though I still hate having to answer: "So... what have you been up to?" The fuck if I know - do you mean today? yesterday? last few weeks? What is the appropriate time frame here? How much detail does one go into?

Let's face it, Mr. Coworker by the Watercooler - you can't relate to video games I play or books I read, and I can't relate to wiping up puke off your sick 2-year-old and the latest head lice epidemic in grade schools. Can we spare each other the fake "wow, gee", grab our respective beverages, and move along?

If it's a friend that I haven't spoken to in years, it feels like I have to use broad brushes to paint my life. Maybe I'm more frustrated by my lack of knack at summarizing my life stories here than anything else.  Anyhow, I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

*deep inhale, exhale*

So, back to books.

I just read Gone Girl and loved it - to the point where I don't know if I want to go watch the movie and potentially ruin it. Actually, I can't remember the last good book I read before this one - though I can for sure remember the last crappy one (Divergent. Look at meee, I'm a Katniss wanna-be in yet another world that needs to be saved by a teenager! But the important question is, Dear Diary, does the boy I like, like me back?).

Not to mention the Gone Girl movie is 149 minutes long. I thought we live in a world of instant gratification now? Songs, for example, have been shorter and shorter. They are all mostly less than 4 minutes long nowadays, and pretty succinct. I mean,  "Turn down for what!?!" no one is going to wonder what the message is. If you don't got buns, hun, then my anaconda don't want none. See? Someone in the music industry's been reading about effective communication.

Those novel-based movies man, they need to chiiiill out.

3 comments:

  1. You shut your mouth! lol.

    I kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gone Girl was a great Christmas movie. Makes you really believe in the power of the Christmas Miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and the "what have you been up to" queries. Honestly, my answer is always "not much...work...eat...poop...sleep."

    Any answer that is remotely honest and they will probably judge me. Oh playing Dragon Age Inquisition. Slaying some mothafracking dragons like a boss....oh no idea what I am talking about...well...umm...why am I friends with you?

    I also hate talking about myself. I'd rather pretend to care about what they've been up to. It's just easier.

    ReplyDelete